Day 9: Your Favorite Weird/Funny Single Behavior
I’ve fallen behind on the past couple of days because I’ve been in the process of moving, so please forgive me! I honestly have a list a mile long of my favorite weird/funny single behaviors, so I’ll have to try and narrow it down here. I don’t know if you ever saw the episode of Sex & the City where the girls are talking about their “secret single behaviors” (Carrie would eat jam on Saltine crackers standing at her kitchen counter, Charlotte would stare at her pores in the mirror, etc.) – but it always makes me laugh when I rewatch it, because it’s such a great example of the uniqueness of the single journey. We simply experience life in a different way than our married counterparts and that’s just the way it is. I never have patience for people who say “But I don’t have any weird or funny or secret single behaviors”…because YES YOU DO. Don’t lie! No one lives their life as though they were under a microscope 24/7, and I doubt if anyone would want their average day replayed on a giant movie screen. Not because you’re doing anything wrong or shameful…but because there are simply some things that you do that are unique to you and you don’t have to invite the world into those moments with you. A few of my favorite “secret single behaviors” are:
1) I love to listen to Frank Sinatra, Harry Connick Jr. and Michael Buble while I clean. I sing into the broom handle and sometimes I even take a quick cleaning break and dance around the room with my cat. It just feels GOOD.
2) If the Tiffany song “I Think We’re Alone Now” happens to come on my iPod, I stop whatever I’m doing and do the dance that my cousin and I made up to that song when we were ten. (I still remember every move).
3) I pray in the bathtub. This might sound really weird…but I’ve had talks with friends before and discovered that other people do this, too. There’s something about being naked before God that breaks down walls for me and allows me to come before Him with no pretense and just get REAL with my prayers.
4) I play Wordmole on my phone (old school word search game) while watching The Golden Girls. This is my favorite way to end a day. I know. The excitement is almost too much to handle.
5) I take drives out into the country and snap pics of things that inspire me. There’s nothing more peaceful in the world to me than this.
I could go on and on and on…but this is probably my top five. I know that there might come a day when I won’t have the luxury of taking the time to do these things anymore, which makes me value my single behaviors all the more. If you haven’t found your list of single behaviors, I urge you to do so. It inspires you to really embrace your life and the freedom of it, and to focus on one of the most powerful gifts of single life – the time to do what you want, when you want. Get your eyes off what you DON’T have today (a relationship) and be grateful for what you DO: Space to design a life that fits you just right.
Join my 30-Day Blogging Challenge at any time either by commenting below, or responding to the challenges each day on your own personal blog and sharing the link below! All the details HERE! Make sure to hashtag all posts on Twitter and Facebook #TheSW30.
ALSO! If you haven’t grabbed your copy of my new book The Single Woman: Life, Love, & a Dash of Sass yet – it’s all about celebrating exactly who you are in THIS moment and is the perfect companion to the Blogging Challenge! Grab your copy at any bookstore!